First Year Students

Thanks for stopping by the IPE office! We’re so excited to help you get started on your international experience.

Follow Us: 



Look out for prompts on social media for a chance to win an Amazon gift card

Fast Facts:

Frequently Asked Questions:

When can I go abroad?

  • For freshmen, the first opportunity to go abroad is the summer after your first year
  • For transfer students, the first opportunity to go abroad is after your first semester
  • The length of international opportunities vary a lot: you can go for as short as one week, to as long as a full academic semester, depending on the experience you choose

Where can I go abroad?

  • IPE supports travel all over the world for study, internships, service, and research
  • Click here to see where IPE has study abroad programs

How much does it cost to go abroad?

  • The cost of an international experience varies, depending on the location and duration of the program.  Program fees for many of our offerings are equal to what you would pay if you studied here in Ann Arbor, and if you choose a semester exchange program, you pay U-M tuition.
  • In most cases, UM-awarded financial aid may be used toward program costs.  Additional funding is also available, but the key is to start investigating early – have a look at our funding opportunities page for more information.

Will going abroad delay my graduation?

  • As long as you plan ahead, there is no reason studying abroad will delay your graduation. The earlier you start planning with IPE and your academic advisor(s), the easier it becomes to fit an international experience into your academic schedule.

How competitive are IPE programs?

  • We strongly encourage you to apply for your first choice program, paying attention to the minimum eligibility requirements and spending time on your application essays.
  • If you’re concerned about the competitiveness of a particular program, you can speak with an IPE advisor.

Do I need to know another language besides English?

  • No. We partner with technical universities that offer classes taught in English. Many of our summer programs incoporate an introductory language course to help you better navigate the host country and interact with locals.

Is there an option to take my courses abroad in another language? 

  • This is an option with certain programs; meet with an advisor to learn more

How do I get started?

  • Stop by our office to talk with a Peer Advisor (for general questions and/or an overview of your options) from 1:00p – 4:00p every Monday-Friday during Fall and Winter
  • Subscribe to our newsletter to receive announcements and learn about promotions/opportunities
  • Apply for a passport if you don’t already have one; if you do, check to see when it expires and renew 
  • Check out international experiences on our website
  • Connect with us through social media (see above)
  • Make an appointment with a professional staff advisor (for more in-depth, program-specific questions)