International Minor Requirements

International Minor Course Planning Worksheet

Overview of Requirements: Total 16 credits


  • College of Engineering students (including MDDP Dual Degree students whose home school is Engineering)

Pre-requisites for Declaring Minor

  • Two semesters of College Level foreign language or equivalent (cannot be English or dead/extinct language).
    • May be satisfied by a placement exam or transfer credit.
    • Cannot be English.
  • Good academic standing based on an earned U-M GPA (minimum 2.0).
  • First-year students should wait until their second semester to declare.
  • Transfer students are eligible to declare during their first semester at U-M.


Foreign Language Proficiency

  • Foreign language proficiency (cannot be English or dead/extinct language) equivalent to fourth-semester College-level.
  • May be satisfied by U-M courses, transfer credit, or intensive language programs abroad.
  • Students may fulfill the language proficiency requirement using AP credit or test credit, however those credits cannot be used toward the 16-credit total: these students must fulfill the 6-credit requirement by completing a combination of additional credits of the same foreign language (advanced level) or additional courses from the international sequence (see below) or comparative perspectives list.
  • For students who complete the language proficiency using U-M courses or transfer credit, up to 6 credits of 3rd and 4th language courses can be used toward the 16-credit total.
  • International students may use the language of their home country as their foreign language, but they must be able to demonstrate proficiency on their U-M transcript (i.e. placement test credit or AP credit for the specified language). 


International Courses

  • Courses in any subject that focus on non-US cultures or countries.
  • 9 credits of International Courses are required (If students test out of the language requirement, 15 credits of International Courses are required).
  • All international minor courses can be double-counted as 300-level HU or electives within departments.
  • Courses elected as Pass/Fail cannot be counted toward the minor, unless the course is only offered as P/F. 
  • At least 3 credits must be completed at the 300-level or above.
  • At least one course must be Comparative Perspectives (see below)
  • Language courses in student’s proficiency language that are 5th-semester or above, or beginning-level courses in language courses other than student’s proficiency language may be used.

Currently, we don’t publish a list of approved International Courses because the list would be so vast. We recommend perusing the LSA course guide to see what might interest you. If you find one you think might count toward the minor, you can submit it for approval using the International Minor Course Approval Request Form; our faculty advisor will review the course and e-mail you with the results.

Comparative Perspectives

    • A specific kind of International Course that focuses on comparing two or more non-U.S. cultures.
    • We do publish a list of approved Comparative Perspectives courses, so that might give you a place to start searching.
    • If you wish, you can take multiple courses from the Comparative Perspectives list to fulfill international course requirements. (But note that you cannot double-count the same course for both 300-level and Comparative Perspectives)


Engineering Across Cultures Course: ENGR 260 (1 credit)

  • Role of culture in engineering design and problem solving.
  • Global trends in engineering and business.
  • Exposure to engineering work in various countries through guest speakers and self-directed research.
  • Offered: Wednesdays 3:30-5:00 pm in the Fall term
  • Offered: Thursdays 3:30-5:00 in the Winter term
  • Students register for the course through Wolverine Access. The Winter 2019 class number will be released with the updated course catalog.


Relevant Overseas Experience: 6 Weeks

  • Study, work, research, or organized volunteer work outside the U.S. as a college student (travel done prior to the start of college does not satisfy the requirement)
  • International students may not satisfy this requirement through programs in their home countries.
  • Program must provide opportunities to develop at least two of the International Minor’s core skills: foreign language proficiency, knowledge of non-U.S. cultures/societies, intercultural communication skills, or awareness of global trends in engineering/business.
  • Minimum of 6 week program length.
  • International experience programs sponsored by or reviewed by the College’s IPE office do not need pre-approval. Other programs, including those from other service providers or those you develop on your own, do need approval from the Faculty Advisor prior to departure.
  • Please refer to the Guidelines for International Experience for full details.


  • Pass/Fail courses may not be used to satisfy minor requirements.
  • Once you have started at the University of Michigan, college-level courses, taken from other universities, that appear on your transcript as Transfer Credit, may be used to satisfy course requirements. AP credit earned prior to the start of college does not apply to the 16-credit total.
  • Students must maintain good academic standing in minor courses to earn the minor.
  • International Minor courses may be double-counted with Engineering core and department requirements, including CoE minors.
  • Students who wish to double-count International Minor courses with LSA minor requirements should consult with their LSA minor advisor to determine if this is allowed.


Back To International Minor Page