Mission / Vision / Values
The University of Michigan is a leader in sending engineers abroad and international experience is a vital component of engineering education.
To prepare our graduates for success in the global engineering profession by helping all CoE students gain international experience.
- Develop programs that meet the specific needs of our students.
- Prepare students for a safe and successful overseas experience.
- Make international opportunities available to all students regardless of their background or financial circumstances.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Mission
Because Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are inseparable from IPE’s mission, we challenge ourselves to take deliberate and practical action to create an office environment that is welcoming and inclusive to all members of the College of Engineering community, to recognize and leverage differences, and to help all students see themselves as multicultural technologists who make valuable and long-lasting contributions to the College of Engineering and the world.
International experience can help students develop…
- Cultural awareness: appreciation of different cultures; understanding of daily life in another country; ability to analyze complex problems in a global context.
- Leadership qualities: independence; self-confidence; resourcefulness; willingness to step outside one’s comfort zone and explore new ideas.
- Communication skills: open-mindedness; ability to observe new situations and formulate appropriate responses; ability to reflect on intercultural experience and articulate lessons learned.
- Professional development: travel competence; experience in adapting to new settings and viewing engineering problems from multiple perspectives.
- Appreciation of world cultures and respect for diversity.
- Commitment to serving the best interest of each student.
- Concern for the safety and well-being of each student.
- Pride in our work and professionalism in student advising, program management and collaboration with colleagues.