International Programs in Engineering (IPE) Office
Vision: The University of Michigan is a leader in sending engineers abroad and international experience is a vital component of engineering education.
Mission: To prepare our graduates for success in the global engineering profession by helping all CoE students gain international experience.
- Develop programs that meet the specific needs of our students.
- Prepare students for a safe and successful overseas experience.
- Make international opportunities available to all students regardless of their background or financial circumstances.
- Appreciation of world cultures and respect for diversity.
- Commitment to serving the best interest of each student.
- Concern for the safety and well-being of each student.
- Pride in our work and professionalism in student advising, program management and collaboration with colleagues.
Learning Goals: International experience can help students develop:
- Cultural awareness: appreciation of different cultures; understanding of daily life in another country; ability to analyze complex problems in a global context.
- Leadership qualities: independence; self-confidence; resourcefulness; willingness to step outside one’s comfort zone and explore new ideas.
- Communication skills: open-mindedness; ability to observe new situations and formulate appropriate responses; ability to reflect on intercultural experience and articulate lessons learned.
- Professional development: travel competence; experience in adapting to new settings and viewing engineering problems from multiple perspectives.