Course Approval

CoE Transfer Credit Approval Form  CoE Transfer Credit Equivalency Database


Selecting Overseas Courses

When selecting courses for study abroad, it is best to be flexible and plan alternatives. Here are some recommendations to guide your course selection:

  • Consider different types of subjects (engineering, humanities/social science, technical electives).
  • Meet with your department program advisor to discuss your plans as soon as you can – they will have a lot of good suggestions about courses you could take abroad to stay on track with your degree plan!
  • Most universities offer online course catalogs.  Become familiar with your host institution’s course listings. Have patience, it may take some time to learn a new system.
  • Compile a list of several course options. Choose twice as many courses as you actually need to take. This provides flexibility when scheduling.

Course Approval Process for Study Abroad

You should start the course approval process well in advance since the course approval process typically takes 6-8 weeks. It will not be possible to immediately evaluate courses during the drop/add time frame set by your university overseas. 

  1. Meet with your department advisor.
  2. Select several courses of interest.
  3. View the CoE Transfer Credit Equivalency Database to see if your courses of interest have been pre-approved.
  4. Submit the CoE Transfer Credit Approval Form online (note: you’ll need to provide the detailed course syllabus so make sure you retrieve it before you submit the form).  If you need help with collecting course materials, let us know!
  5. In about 6-8 weeks you will receive an e-mail with your Course Approval Results Report attached. The report indicates the credit you will receive for each course you submitted (that you pass with the equivalent of a U-M “C” or better). Credit may be shown as equivalent to a U-M course or as departmental credit with the appropriate level indicated. Courses that the College of Engineering considers Humanities (HU) or Social Sciences (SS) are also indicated.
  6. A copy of this report will be sent to your department program advisor. It is your responsibility to meet with your department advisor to determine how the credits earned overseas will be counted toward your engineering degree requirements. 
  7. If you are participating in a non-UM study abroad program, please review the additional resources on our Study Abroad Beyond U-M page.

Transfer Credit

In most cases, study abroad courses are awarded as transfer credit, and the grades do not transfer back to Michigan. Please contact the IPE office if you have any questions about transfer credit for your program of interest.  You must receive the equivalent of at least a UM “C” at the foreign institution in order for Michigan to accept the course.

Receiving Your Overseas Transcript

Before leaving your host institution, you must request your official transcript be sent directly to:                              

International Programs in Engineering
245 Chrysler Center
2121 Bonisteel Blvd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2092

You will receive an e-mail confirmation when your transcript is received. We also recommend that you order 1-2 additional copies of your official transcript for your records (kept in the original envelopes). Graduate school admission offices often require transcripts from your overseas experience, and it may be difficult to obtain them once you have returned to the US.        


Back to Study Abroad Programs Search