Thank you for your interest in the International Buddy Program!
Join the International Buddy Program by completing the Current UM Student Sign-up Form online.
Sign up to be an international mentor through the Rackham I-Connect Program.
Participation in the International Buddy Program is an excellent leadership opportunity for CoE students who value a global mindset and the ability to work in diverse, intercultural teams. Through membership in this student organization, students will contribute directly to diversity and strong community; two core values of the College of Engineering.
What International Buddies Do
International Buddies can be most helpful in the time frame beginning two weeks prior to the international students’ arrival to Ann Arbor, and two weeks after they arrive. This is the period when they will have the most questions and need the most support, to get to know Ann Arbor, settle in, and make connections with other CoE students.
With this in mind, we ask members of the International Buddy Program to commit to:
- E-mail your international “family” with a welcome message during the summer (at least 2 weeks before the start of classes) to facilitate introductions over e-mail or social media
- Be available by phone and e-mail/social media to assist them with questions for 2 weeks before they arrive until at least 2 weeks after classes start
- Accompany your buddies to the International Buddy Welcome Event (arranged activity culminating in an ice cream social)
- Accompany your buddies to Festifall for at least one hour and help them investigate options for getting involved in co-curricular activities
Other Suggestions for Buddy Support
- Airport Pick-Up: Assist with arranging transportation from the airport to campus.
- Housing: Ask if your buddies need assistance in arranging housing.
- North Campus/Bus System Tour
- Groceries: If possible, invite your buddies to go with you to Meijers or Target.
- Books: Take your buddies to the bookstore, and explain the UM system for buying books, course packs, etc
- Attend or arrange social events during the academic year with your buddies.
- Weekly Get-Together: Keep in touch with your buddies via e-mail or a regular lunch meetings throughout the semester
If you are an undergraduate interested in joining the International Buddy Program, please fill out the questionnaire below. Graduate students should sign up for the Rackham International Mentoring Program.
- Undergraduate Students: Current UM Student Online Sign-up Form
- Graduate Students: Rackham I-Connect Program from this page
Sign up today!