Beyond U-M

If you find that U-M programs do not meet your needs, there are resources available to help you investigate other options. Our office does not endorse any particular Beyond-UM program, but we will help you locate programs that match your interests and guide you through the credit transfer process.

Step 1

Find a Program

IPE has identified a number of engineering-specific options offered through Beyond U-M providers. Search for these programs on IPE’s Find An International Experience page. 

If you still can’t find what you’re looking for, consider visiting the following third-party study abroad providers: 

Or try general study abroad program search engines:

Step 2

Follow the Course Approval Process


College of Engineering students who take overseas courses through a non-UM study abroad program must complete the Transfer Credit Approval Form that is provided by the CoE Credit Evaluation Office. This form is available online:

CoE Transfer Credit Approval Form

This form is NOT a study abroad application. It is request to transfer credits earned outside of the University of Michigan. After you log on, you will receive step-by-step instructions on how to complete the transfer credit approval form. If you have any questions about this process, please contact:

College of Engineering Credit Evaluation
145A Chrysler Center, 2121 Bonisteel Blvd
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2102

Step 3

Register with CoE Before You Go Abroad


IMPORTANT NOTICE: All CoE students intending to participate in an international experience must register through the online Travel Registry prior to departure.

Step 4

Request Your Overseas Transcript is Sent to IPE 


Before leaving your host institution, you must request your official transcript be sent directly to:

International Programs in Engineering
245 Chrysler Center
2121 Bonisteel Blvd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2092 

You will receive an e-mail confirmation when your transcript is received. We also recommend that you order 1-2 additional copies of your official transcript for your records (kept in the original envelopes). Graduate school admission offices often require transcripts from your overseas experience, and it may be difficult to obtain them once you have returned to the US.