Beyond U-M Programs

If you find that UM programs do not meet your needs, there are resources available to help you investigate other options. Our office does not endorse any particular non-UM program, but we will help you locate programs that match your interests and guide you through the credit transfer process.


1. Find a Program

The UM Education Abroad Office (part of the UM International Center) has extensive listings of non-UM programs. The office is located in the International Center, in the Student Activities Building on Central Campus.

The following third-party study abroad providers offer engineering-specific options (Semester, Academic Year): Scroll down for sample programs from each provider!

Study abroad program search engines:

2. Follow the Course Approval Process

College of Engineering students who take overseas courses through a non-UM study abroad program must complete the Transfer Credit Approval Form that is provided by the CoE Credit Evaluation Office. This form is available online:

CoE Transfer Credit Approval Form

This form is NOT a study abroad application. It is request to transfer credits earned outside of the University of Michigan. After you log on, you will receive step-by-step instructions on how to complete the transfer credit approval form. If you have any questions about this process, please contact:

College of Engineering Credit Evaluation
145A Chrysler Center, 2121 Bonisteel Blvd
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2102

3. Register with CoE Before You Go Abroad

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All CoE students intending to participate in a non-UM or independent study abroad program must register through the online CoE International Experience Registry prior to departure.

4. Additional Resources

Engineering-specific programs by provider:

Back to Study Abroad Programs Search